Featured on our cover is a one- room schoolhouse that was built prior to 1858 in the town of Mazeppa, Minnesota. In1992, the
school was moved to The Little Log House
Pioneer Village in Hastings, Minnesota.
Hastings is located southeast of Min-neapolis/St. Paul near the junction of the
St. Croix and Mississippi rivers and not
far from the Wisconsin border. Due to
its proximity to water, Hastings became
a shipping and milling center.
During the winter of 1820, a military
detachment settled the area to guard a
shipment that had become stranded.
Later the area was called Oliver’s Grove,
and in 1851 the Treaty of Mendota
opened the area up to white settlement.
The city was incorporated in 1857 and
became the Dakota County seat.
The Little Log House Pioneer Village
began in 1987 when Steve Bauer was
helping a neighbor demolish a cabin.
Steve found logs under the siding that
dated back to 1857 and decided to rescue
the building. He moved it to his property and this began the Little Log House
Pioneer Village. Steve and his wife Sylvia
began collecting and restoring buildings
and artifacts to add to their historic collection. In 1988 they began hosting a
Sunday afternoon event that has grown
into a three-day event called the Little
Log House Antique Show (which is held
the last full weekend of July.) The rest of
the year the facility is used for weddings,
corporate events, and photography.
Hastings is home to Minnesota’s second
oldest courthouse building. Currently it is
owned by the city and used as city hall. In
1895, the city built a spiral bridge over the
Mississippi River in an effort to slow down
horse-drawn traffic into the downtown
area. The bridge became a tourist attraction but was torn down in 1951 because it
could not accommodate modern vehicles.
A replica of the bridge is located in the
Little Log House Pioneer Village.
Lock and Dam #2, part of the Upper
Mississippi water system, is located in
Hastings. The original lock went into use
in 1931, but poor soil conditions caused
the lock structure to tip, and a new lock
was opened in 1948. The U.S. Army
Corps of Engineers rehabilitated the lock
in 1955 so it would serve long into the
future. Each year approximately 11 million tons of cargo and 12,000 recreational
boats use Lock #2.
The city of Hastings can be reached at
www.hastingsmn.gov and the Little Log
House Pioneer Village can be reached at
Tina Rice is a veteran homeschooler of 22
years. Three of her four children graduated homeschool, and her baby is a sophomore. Tina is the owner of Tina’s Tie Dye
( www.TinasTieDye.com) and the author
of Exploring Color and Science with Tie
Dye—a fun tie-dye-based science unit
study. She and her husband Tim run a
small publishing company. Tina and Tim
use an eclectic mix of Classical and relaxed
educational materials. You can reach her
Photographer credit: Geoffrey Kuchera