It is not enough to simply teach
children to read;
we have to give them
something worth reading.
Excellence in Literature: Reading and
Writing through the Classics
Have you always wanted to read the
great books? Now is your chance!
With Excellence in Literature, you
and your student can enjoy reading,
understanding, and analyzing the
greatest literature of all time. These
challenging, self-directed high school English courses
introduce full-length classic literature in its historic
context, while developing skills in writing and literary
• Self-directed courses encourage independent learning
and college-style study habits for grades 8-12.
• Each study guide contains nine four-week modules
with week-by-week lesson plans so you know what to
• Every volume contains instructions, models, and a
glossary, so you can jump in anywhere.
• Honors Option provides the opportunity to earn advanced placement or college credit.
• Modules may be mixed and matched to create a custom study plan.
• Each volume is available as a print book or e-book.
• A growing collection of context resources, including
poetry, art, short stories, music, and video clips is
hosted at Excellence-in-Literature.com.
• Learn more and download a free sample module at
• Each one-year study guide is $29.
• English I and II provide foundational skills
• English III and IV offer a chronological survey of
American and British literature
• English V focuses on European literature
NEW for grades K- 12!
1857 McGuffey Readers with Charlotte Mason Instructions
This six-book series offers:
• Phonics-based reading instruction using stories, poems, essays, and speeches that
reinforce virtues such as courage, honor, diligence, stewardship, independence, frugality,
perseverance, and kindness.
• Vocabulary and spelling are
taught and reinforced in
• Extensive age-appropriate instructions on elocution (the art
In addition, increasingly challenging literature se-
lections provide reading and material for Charlotte
Mason-style language arts study for grades K- 12.
• A new 18-page introduction by Janice Campbell,
author of the Excellence in Literature curriculum,
shows you how to use Charlotte Mason’s language
arts learning sequence with each of the Readers.
• Each volume centers on the complete original text
from McGuffey’s expanded 1857 edition, the last edition with which McGuffey was personally involved
and the first edition with more extensive teacher
• Presentation as a facsimile edition (exact reproduction) ensures that original diacritical markings and
teacher notes are correct and legible.
Whether used as a primary text or a supplement, this
new edition will make it easy to include Mason and
McGuffey’s time-tested, virtue-building language arts
instruction into your education program.
Everyday Education, LLC P.O. Box 549 Ashland, VA 23005 Order online at www.Everyday-Education.com
Literacy. Virtue. Values.
26 Summer 2015 • The Old Schoolhouse® Magazine www.TheOldSchoolhouse.com